West Seneca, NY (WKBW) A local family has turned a tragedy into a mission, to never let it happen again. After losing their daughter Amanda to carbon monoxide poisoning, Kevin and Kim Hansen dedicated themselves to battling the poison by raising awareness.
Saturday, they took their mission to West Seneca, where they donated a specialized carbon monoxide reader to a local West Seneca Fire Company.
"It's a unit that detects CO (carbon monoxide) in the people's blood right away so they know exactly what they're working on when they get there," Kevin Hansen said.
"Before, we really couldn't tell. Just maybe by the skin color or the texture of the skin. This system will actually give us a reading on the level of CO that is in a person's system," Andrew Kazmierski, Chief of Reserve Hose Fire Company, said.
The Hansens lost their daughter Amanda to carbon monoxide poisoning in 2009.
"We know when Amanda passed away that the EMTs told us that they didn't know why, what was going on in that moment, they didn't know what had happened at that point to Amanda," Kevin Hansen said.
With the new reader, fire officials say tragedies like Amanda's can hopefully now be prevented.
"So we felt it was important to get this unit so that when they work on the next child or person that they could have a little quicker reaction to help save that child, and so that nothing like this happens again," Kevin Hansen said.
Since their daughter's death, the Hansens have gone on a crusade against carbon monoxide. And this time of year, they say their message is as important as ever.
"With the heating season coming up, the houses being sealed up, the big message is get a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Don't let this happen to another child," Hansen said.
"Each floor (of each home) should have a CO detector, and make sure you frequently check your batteries, every six months or even every four months," Chief Kazmierski said.
For more information on the Amanda Hansen Foundation, go to http://www.amandahansenfoundation.org/