Buffalo, N.Y. (WKBW release) -- Labatt Blue beer announced Tuesday that it is opening registration for teams to enter the Labatt Blue Buffalo Street Hockey Tournament, slated for Feb. 10-12, 2012 at Erie Basin Marina.
Beginning Wednesday, January 25, teams can sign up for the Labatt Blue Buffalo Street Hockey Tournament on a first-come, first-served basis by emailing tournament director Ed Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no registration fee to play. Players must be 21 and older and need to present proof of age. Teams are encouraged to register early because the highly anticipated tournament is expected to quickly fill up. The tournament has maximum capacity for 144 street hockey teams.
“We’re excited to be able to open registration up for some teams who didn’t score a spot in the Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament, or for those who are street hockey fanatics,” said Brett Carlsen, associate brand manager, Labatt Blue. “Though we won’t be on ice, we will be down at Erie Basin Marina Feb. 10-12, playing some competitive street hockey and enjoying some ice cold Labatt Blues. If you’ve never experienced this tournament as a player or fan, you’ve got to check it out.”
Tournament organizers note that most details for the Labatt Blue Buffalo Street Hockey Tournament will remain the same for street hockey as they were for pond hockey, including set up and logistics of the games.
• Competing teams will be comprised of four to seven players, 21 years of age and older, playing a four-on-four format, absent a goalie.
• Nets will remain at six inches high and six feet wide like the goals used in the Labatt Blue US Adult Pond Hockey Championships held in Eagle River, Wisconsin.
• Teams will compete in a round robin format in a specified division.
• The winner of each bracket will go on to play a championship game.
• Players should wear street sneakers or boots appropriate for street hockey play.
• Players must also wear helmets and are encouraged to wear protective padding (gloves, shin and elbow pads) to encourage safe hockey play.
• Teams will use a standard street hockey ball (versus a hockey puck).
• Rinks will be located throughout the Erie Basin Marina lots and will be maintained by City of Buffalo crews.
Registration will remain open until the remaining spots are filled or by Sunday, Jan. 29, whichever comes sooner.
Team captains and players can direct questions to tournament director Ed Ellis at email@example.com. Ellis also will be in contact with team captains regarding updated player registration and waiver forms. For more information, visit www.labattbluepondhockey.com.
Last week, tournament organizers announced that, due to Buffalo’s mild winter weather, the Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament would shift to a free street hockey tournament. All teams originally registered for pond hockey play will receive a full $250 refund. All registered pond hockey teams were given right of first refusal to play in the street hockey tournament and needed to commit to their spot by Jan. 23. This created an opportunity for more teams to get in on the outdoor hockey action.