Jury selection underway for the Nushawn Williams Trial

June 12, 2013 Updated Jun 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM EDT

By Rachel Elzufon

June 12, 2013 Updated Jun 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM EDT

Buffalo, NY (WKBW) - The man accused of knowingly infecting dozens of women with HIV in the mid-1990's, is going back to a Chautauqua County courtroom.

This time, it's a legal fight for his freedom.

15 years after going to prison, Nushawn Williams is back in court.

Court officials tell Eyewitness News that a jury was selected on Wednesday. Thursday, attorneys will meet again to select alternate jurors.

Williams' defense attorney, John Nuchereno, says his client is "apprehensive -- He knows the name Nushawn Williams arouses fear, suspicion and anger."

An investigation in the 1990's accused Williams, who now goes by Shyteek Johnson, of spreading HIV to dozens of women and girls.

Looking back on the case, Chautauqua County Sheriff Joseph Gerace says "There were no laws on the book that directly related to this kind of crime, so we had to deal directly with what was available."

Williams served all of a 4-12 year sentence for statutory rape and reckless endangerment, and an additional three years under a New York law that keeps inmates deemed dangerous sex offenders locked up.

Now, Nuchereno says new lab results show no traces of HIV in Williams at all.

Williams was treated for HIV in prison. However, his attorney says experts could also discuss whether or not he ever had HIV at all.

"Years ago, when he was tested, the testing was still very much in its infancy," says Nuchereno. "There were many false positives."

However, Sheriff Gerace dismisses that theory, saying that Attorney General should be allowed to conduct its own test.

The New York State Attorney General's request for a second test was denied, along with a motion to test the scientific reliability of that test, and a defense motion for a change of venue.

The focus is on if jurors and their alternates can remain unbiased, from a case in Jamestown that gained international notoriety.

Williams says some prospective jurors even excused themselves from the case, saying they could not be unbiased.

The case is closed off to the public, because it involves medical and mental health issues.

Trial is scheduled to start on Monday.