Investigation Continues In The Wilson House Explosion

July 25, 2012 Updated Jul 25, 2012 at 8:08 AM EDT

By WKBW News

July 25, 2012 Updated Jul 25, 2012 at 8:08 AM EDT

Wilson, N.Y. (WKBW) - Investigators from several agencies are back on the scene Wednesday morning and are focusing in on the cause of a blast that killed Sara Johnson, 14, and injured her family members.

It all happened in a split second, around 6 a.m. Tuesday morning. It was an explosion that could be felt for miles and leveled a large one family home in Wilson.

"I was in bed sleeping and I actually woke up from it. It was quite a rattling and my parents heard it too," Neighbor Courtney Bell said.

A propane tank behind the Johnson family home is now the main focus of the investigation. There may have been trouble with that tank just hours before the massive explosion.

"The family had noticed an odor in the residence, potentially propane. That's an angle we have to look at. We don't know what action was taken, so they're going to look at that for the cause of the explosion," Undersheriff Michael Filicetta said.

Five of the seven members of the Johnson family were inside. Sarah was killed instantly. It took first responders more than two-hours to find her body in the rubble. Mother and father, Jodi and Judy, were injured along with brother Nathan and older sister Katie. Katie suffered major burns. The family was well -known in the Wilson community, especially young Sarah.

"Sarah was just a bundle of joy. She would smile, she just could not, not smile," Coach Jake Adams said.

Sarah also loved soccer. Hundreds gathered Tuesday night, including her soccer team, to honor Sarah. The crowd prayed and offered donations of cash, clothing and household items.

Sarah's coaches described her as young girl with a love for sports her friends and, of course, her family.

"Into sports, outgoing. Not just sports, church, school activities, musicals. If there was a cause or activity they were the first ones to jump in," Adams said.

The rest of the family continues to recover this morning. Meanwhile, it is still technically considered a crime scene, although police said they don't suspect foul play.