Injured Officer Heads Home

June 17, 2011 Updated Jun 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM EDT

By WKBW Internet

June 17, 2011 Updated Jun 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - After nearly four months of recovery and rehabilitation, including multiple surgeries, Buffalo Police Officer Gary Sengbusch left ECMC Friday, able to walk with the use of a cane.

Sengbusch was critically injured in the early morning hours of February 25th, 2011, after being involved in a deadly crash.

A car driven by Anthony Thompson, who police say was drunk at the time, ran a red light at Main and Ferry Streets in Buffalo, smashing into Sengbusch's car, critically injuring him and killing a female.

Sengbusch was off-duty at the time, headed home from his second job.

"Everyday you wake up in the hospital you kind of feel fortunate, because I understand there was a young female who died in this accident. So you have got to feel fortunate just to wake up and have a chance to go to rehab," said Sengbusch.

The 30-year-old officer said he remembers nothing from the crash, only waking up in ECMC much later. And even after a grueling recover, Sengbusch said that the toughest thing for him, was knowing what his family went through.

"The hardest part, other than knowing that I almost died, is knowing that someone had to call my mother, call my brother, call my girlfriend and tell them that I was in an accident and that I was touch and go. I can't imagine that's a call that anyone would want to make," Sengbusch said.

Sengbusch and him family credit the support of the Buffalo Police and Fire Departments, the community, family and friends and all of the prayers with his miraculous recovery.

Sengbusch says he hopes to be able to one-day return to the force, but for now, he's just looking forward to grilled steak and enjoying the summer.

The City of Buffalo Police, the Buffalo Bisons and Buffalo Charities are sponsoring a benefit bash for Officer Sengbusch on June 30 at Coca-Cola Field. For more information visit or call (716) 713-6789.