Grand Island Family Recovering from CO Poisoning

January 27, 2012 Updated Jan 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM EDT

By Kyla Igoe

...
January 27, 2012 Updated Jan 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM EDT

Grand Island, NY (WKBW) -A Grand Island family and their 13-month-old son are now recovering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Grand Island Fire Company responded to a home on River Oaks Drive around 2:30 a.m. Friday, and discovered the disoriented family after making repeated attempts to gain access into the home.

The home registered a lethal amount of carbon monoxide, at 300 parts per million. Crews described the reading as dangerously high.

36-year-old Surya Yadavilli, his wife Chandana, and their 13-month old son were evacuated from the home and were treated for CO exposure.

"We don't know how long they were exposed to that level," said Ray Pauley, Public Information Officer for the Grand Island Fire Company. "There could have been tragic consequences, and this could have been a fatality."

A family friend tells Eyewitness News the family was treated at Mount Saint Mary's Hospital in Lewiston and are expected to make a full recovery.