Foundation Distributes Free CO Detectors

February 7, 2011 Updated Feb 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM EDT

By Kyla Igoe

...
February 7, 2011 Updated Feb 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM EDT


Cheektowaga, NY (WKBW) - The 32nd Masonic Community Center in Cheektowaga has reopened after high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered inside the building during a banquet event Saturday. More than two dozen people fell ill and up to 4 people were sent to the hospital. Luckily, an active CO detector notified patrons who evacuated the building. Officials believe the kitchen stove's exhaust was never turned on, and resulted in the CO leak.
The recent incident has prompted Ken Hansen to hold another event to help raise awareness about CO poisoning and distribute free detectors. Ken Hansen's daughter Amanda passed in 2009 from carbon monoxide poisoning during a sleep-over at a friend's house in West Seneca. He and his wife have now created the Amanda Hansen Foundation to raise awareness about the toxic gas and want the foundation to become a resource for people to obtain free detectors.

"I'm still hearing about hundreds of people that don't have detectors yet," said Hansen. "You need them. CO poisoning is happening everyday, we need to get the detectors in every home."

Members of the Amanda Hansen Foundation will be distributing free carbon monoxide detectors on Saturday, February 19th from 11am until 2pm at Roy's Plumbing, Heating and Cooling. The facility is located at 140 Cooper Avenue in Towanda. For more information about the Amanda Hansen Foundation visit: http://amandahansenfoundation.org/index.html