Ford Dealers Help Battle Breast Cancer

June 11, 2011 Updated Oct 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM EDT

By WKBW News

...

Ford Dealers Help Battle Breast Cancer

June 11, 2011 Updated Oct 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM EDT

( release) June 11, 2011 – is significant not only because it’s the date of the 11th annual Susan G. Komen WNY Race for the Cure,® but it also marks the 11th year that the Western New York Ford Dealers are supporting the important fight against breast cancer.

“Like so many of the race participants, this disease has personally affected our friends, family and loved ones,” said Dave Smith, representative for the WNY Ford Dealers. “On behalf of the Western New York Ford Dealers, I can tell you that year after year we are extremely proud to be surrounded by so many passionate people that are determined to save lives and put an end to breast cancer forever.”

Continuing Ford’s “Warriors in Pink” tradition, representatives handed out a limited supply of Ford gift bags featuring the coveted 2011 limited-edition scarf, complete with a new, exclusive design. Nationwide, Ford and your local Ford dealers are recruiting “Warriors” to help ramp up the fight against breast cancer and reach beyond participants to extend the emotion of race day to non-racers. Learn more about Warriors in Pink at:

http://www.ford.com/warriorsinpink/.

“There’s no doubt that Ford will continue to join forces to support the mission of Susan G. Komen in WNY, and nationwide,” said Smith.

THOUSANDS TAKE PART IN THE SUSAN G. KOMEN WESTERN NEW YORK RACE FOR THE CURE -SATURDAY, JUNE 11TH 2011

Raising over $ 600,000 in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

Buffalo, NY – JUNE 11, 2011 – This year’s Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure ® attracted close to 8,000 in attendance, including approximately 500 breast cancer survivors. Teams of runners and walkers helped raise over $600,000 in the fight against breast cancer, with more donations expected as additional fundraising continues.

This 5K run/walk is an annual celebration of survival and a time to remember those that lost their lives to breast cancer. Teams of runners and walkers, wearing pink signs “in honor of” or “in celebration of” loved ones gathered together at Delaware Park Rose Gardens to Race for the Cure.

“Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the most progressive grassroots organization fighting breast cancer today. The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure truly makes an impact in this community not only on race day but all year round with the money raised by the people who take part in today’s race.” said Jackie Pritchard, Executive Director of the WNY Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Up to 75 percent of the net proceeds from the Race will remain in the Western New York community to fund projects related to breast health education and breast cancer screening. The remainder of the net proceeds (a minimum of 25 percent) will support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.

The Komen WNY Race is presented nationally by Yoplait and locally by the WNY Ford Dealers.

Over the past 11 years the Komen WNY Affiliate has invested approximately $3 million dollars in Western New York community outreach initiatives to help save lives and end breast cancer forever.
For more information about the Komen WNY Race for the Cure, visit www.komenwny.org or call (716)332-2481.

About the WNY Ford Dealers

The Western New York Ford Dealers are part of the Western New York Ford Stores, an advertising cooperative comprised of 31 dealer locations that provides support for Ford vehicle sales and service in the 13 counties of Western New York and Rochester, and two counties in Northern Pennsylvania. For more information, please visit: www.wnyford.com. View and subscribe to news from the WNY Ford Dealers here: http://tinyurl.com/WNYFordNewsroom.

About Ford's National Role in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

Ford is proud of its 17-year National Sponsorship of the Komen Race for the Cure®. To date, Ford has dedicated more than $110 million to the cause. Our commitment runs well beyond raising funds. We know that awareness leads to early detection and early detection saves lives, so we are also working to increase breast cancer awareness, last year creating over one billion media impressions. We also encourage our employees to participate. More than 75,000 Ford employees have participated in the Race for the Cure and thousands of our dealers support local events in their area.