Fireworks to Blame for 2 Buffalo Fires

July 5, 2011 Updated Jul 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM EDT

By Kyla Igoe

...
July 5, 2011 Updated Jul 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM EDT

Buffalo, NY (WKBW) - It was a busy Independence Day for Buffalo Fire crews, as firefighters responded to 10 fires throughout the Queen City Monday evening and early Tuesday morning. Investigators are blaming fireworks for two of the fires. Crews responded to a vacant house fire on Moselle Street around 10:30 p.m. Monday and fire investigators say fireworks caught the roof on fire. Flames also erupted just before midnight at a home on North Ogden Street and spread to nearby garages. Investigators believe fireworks started the North Ogden Street fire. The blaze displaced Jason Turner and his wife.

"Within five minutes the whole back of the house was on fire," said Turner. "Hopefully whoever was blowing the fireworks off learns from what has happened because we lost a lot here."

Damage to the Lovejoy home is estimated at $20,000 to the building and $10,000 to the contents inside. No one was hurt. The Buffalo Fire Department is urging residents not to use illegal fireworks.

"We have to remember that these are dangerous," said Buffalo Deputy Fire Commissioner Vincent Gugliuzza. "Blowing off fireworks could cause severe damage and even death."

The Red Cross is assisting the Turner Family.