Division Chief Jack Hess told Eyewitness News a wood burner that was not properly ventilated is likely to blame for the fire on Jefferson Avenue near Dodge Street. Firefighters quickly got the flames under control, but one firefighter was sent to the hospital to have his knee checked out after his leg went crashing through the floor.
"Our guys were in there in the dark for a while, trying to figure out what it was," says Hess, "It's an older structure, it's got some damage in there. Some of the floors were suspect."
A second firefighter hurt his hand. Neither of the firefighter injuries is believed to be serious.