Fire Leaves A Family In The Cold

February 3, 2012 Updated Feb 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
February 3, 2012 Updated Feb 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM EDT

Buffalo, N.Y. (WKBW ) - A Buffalo woman and her young family are picking up the pieces after an early morning fire Friday destroyed her home.

"I have to laugh to keep from crying, because I really never had anything happen to me like this before," fire victim Carlotta Huggins said.

Huggins was nearly brought to tears as she looked at the charred remains of the house on Moselle Street that she bought and fixed up for her family.

Huggins was moving in Friday, but had already put all her belongings in the house earlier in the week. Now, she said her five year old son, daughter, grandson and elderly mother lost everything - and she has no insurance to cover the cost.

"My little boy's stuff is gone. He doesn't have anything because his room was already set up. My daughter, her son doesn't have anything. We don't even have diapers. Basically, anything important is gone," Huggins said.

There was also a tenant moving in upstairs who is now out in the cold. The worst part, she said, is that she and her family have no place to go.

"Where we are living, there is somebody else moving in, so I don't know how that's going to go. I just don't know," Huggins said.

Huggins said she spent her last few dollars on the final touches so they could move in. Now, she is looking to the Red Cross for help.

Huggins does say that no matter how bad things get, there is one thing she is grateful for.

"I'm just happy no one was in there so. As long as my family is alright, that material stuff doesn't mean anything," Huggins said.

Fire officials said the blaze started in the back bedroom of the house, and could have been intentionally set. The case is still under investigation.