Fire Kills Genesee County Man (With Photos)

March 11, 2013 Updated Mar 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM EDT

By Jaclyn Asztalos

...
March 11, 2013 Updated Mar 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM EDT

Alexander, N.Y. (WKBW) - Scott Cramer, 47, was house sitting for a friend who was in the hospital when that home went up in flames. Those who live by called the structure the "Old School House". They called fire fighters when they saw flames coming from the roof.

Fire crews were called to 11030 Sandpit Road in Alexander just after 10 p.m. Sunday night. When they arrived on scene they got word someone was trapped inside but there was already smoke and flames barricading the only entrance to the house.

Fire crews were also concerned about the stability of the house. They had to secure the home before entering. When they finally got access inside, they found Cramer 15 feet from the door. He was put into an ambulance, where they performed CPR. Cramer died after being taken from the scene.

The Genesee County Sheriff's Office is assisting the Alexander Fire Department. They determined the cause of the fire was electrical.