Akron, NY (WKBW) An afternoon fire at Akron High School caused an evacuation and early dismissal for some students.
The fire was reportedly in the ceiling tiles above a new auditorium and is contained to this area. Police say a spark from a welder's torch ignited a small fire in the vicinity of the auditorium. The fire was put out quickly, but smoke in the building caused an evacuation of all students.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The Akron Superintendent stressed that students were not in harm's way at any time, and that the evacuation was precautionary.
The website for Akron High School has the following message posted from the Superintendent:
We would like to update you on an event that took place today at the Akron Central Schools.
At approximately noon today our alarm detected smoke in the auditorium construction area. All students were immediately and safely relocated. Any residual smoke was contained in the high school. At 1 pm the decision was made to transport our high school students home. At no time were any of our students in danger.
Elementary and middle school will be returning to class and be dismissed at 2:35. Please check the Akron Schools website for further updates
For the Akron School website, go to "News Links" at wkbw.com