NIAGARA FALLS, NY ( WKBW ) Fire officials tell Eyewitness News that a suspicious fire started in the basement of a building on 22nd Street in Niagara Falls, filling the five apartments above with smoke.
That is when Jamie Perkins and Kevin Bergal sprung into action.
Jamie told Channel 7, "We heard the smoke detectors, and they were so loud I immediately ran over." He went right into the smoke filled building.
Jamie continued, "I started pounding on all the doors on the second floor. I made sure to get the baby. I shielded her face from the smoke, then passed her off to a neighbor."
That neighbor was Kevin Bergal, who actually lived in one of the five apartments in the burning building, but was outside the house when the blaze started.
He took the baby to safety, then also started to help people still inside the house.
Kevin said, "I was glad I could save everybody. I feel happy that everybody is safe and not hurt."
Perkins even climbed the drain pipe to get a man on the top floor who was sleeping through the smoke alarm. Within minutes, everyone was safe.
Residents like Justin Depadre have another big concern.
Fire officials say electrical wires were damaged in the fire, so the City Of Niagara Falls had to condemn the house for safety reasons.
Justin noted, "...the Red Cross is putting us up for three nights, but then we're going to have to figure out what we're going to do from there."
As for Perkins and Bergal, they don't feel like heroes, the say they just did what was right.