Somerset (WKBW) Eleven dogs are dead after a house fire in Somerset in Niagara County, the second house fire in the same home in less than a month.
Homeowner David Walker spoke to Eyewitness News Thursday afternoon.
"My dog had puppies. So I got power from the garage and put a heat lamp in there for them and it must have gotten knocked over," he said.
Fire then spread through Walker's Johnson Creek Road home. No one was in the house when the fire broke out, except for a mother golden retriever and ten three week old puppies. None of the animals survived.
"Flames were twenty foot in the air. The whole back end of the house. It was all on fire," Walker said.
"It looks like they were truly trying to take care of their animals. And something bad happened," Niagara County Sheriff James Voutour said.
This comes exactly one month after a fire at the same home, when all people and animals were able to get out. The owners moved out of the partially burned home, but kept the puppies there to take care of them. Then the second fire struck and killed the 3 week old dogs.
"There are a lot of animal lovers out there it touches your heart. Especially when it's puppies, that's tough. But we are fortunate that no adults were hurt and no firefighters were hurt," Sheriff Voutour said.
The Sheriff's office is still investigating, but are not deeming the fire suspicious at this time. The Niagara County SPCA says it is looking into the situation for possible foul play, but has not launched a formal investigation at this point.