Dozens Treated For CO Poisoning

February 6, 2011 Updated Feb 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...

Dozens Treated For CO Poisoning

February 6, 2011 Updated Feb 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM EDT

CHEEKTOWAGA, NY ( WKBW ) The 32nd Masonic Community Center on Union Road was the place where folks gathered Saturday to celebrate "Gliding Stars," an organization that helps physically challenged youth ice skate.

The organization rented the building for their annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser.

During the dinner, building workers told Eyewitness News that there was a problem with the stove's furnace, possibly releasing carbon monoxide.

As a result, dozens of people began to feel light headed and sick. One woman was reported to have passed out.

Emergency responders transported at least 4 people to the hospital, with 35 people treated on the scene.

Officials say this is one of the largest single incidents of CO poisoning they have ever seen, noting that the levels of Carbon Monoxide in the building were extremely high.

The incident remains under investigation.