Dozens Left Homeless by Apartment Fire

August 1, 2010 Updated Aug 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
August 1, 2010 Updated Aug 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM EDT

Fire ripped through a Lockport apartment building leaving the residents of all 28 units homeless this weekend.

Firefighters say it started in a second floor apartment at 6343 Robinson Road around 7:00 Saturday evening. They helped make sure everyone made it out safely and got the flames under control within half an hour. The resident who called 911 says she suspects a faulty air conditioner sparked the fire.

"I came outside and I was going to leave and I seen smoke coming out of an apartment building, and so I just called the fire company cause I knew it was a fire," says Kristina Mottorn, "The fire company came and kicked in all the doors and it just spread instantly."

The Red Cross is offering help to the people left homeless.