Downtown Building Evacuated

June 22, 2012 Updated Jun 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
June 22, 2012 Updated Jun 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM EDT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) Firefighters responded to a call for a gas leak at 353 Franklin Street around 9:00a.m. Friday morning.

When crews arrived, they found the apartment building was filled with natural gas after a pipe burst in the basement.

National Fuel crews initially had some trouble turning off the gas into the building, so firefighters were kept out of the apartment complex until the gas was shut off.

According to fire officials, a large piece of the heating system fell and broke off part of a live gas line in the basement, sending natural gas gushing through the building

It was a situation that officials say could have been explosive if not handled properly.