Despite Massive Fire, Twin Village Recycling is Open For Business

June 28, 2011 Updated Jun 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM EDT

By Kyla Igoe

...
June 28, 2011 Updated Jun 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM EDT

Depew, NY (WKBW) - Fire crews responded to Twin Village Recycling in Depew Monday afternoon after flames ripped through a building storing plastic and rubber material. Depew Fire Chief Gary Cummings says the fire accidentally started by an employee who was cutting steel. Fire crews believe the insulation caught fire, and quickly spread up the walls and into the ceiling. Thankfully, no one was injured and workers returned to work Tuesday. Despite the extensive damage, the company says it's open for business.

"We have generators here running our electric. We have cell phones running our phones. We're able to weigh and have temporary scales for aluminum, so we're ready to weigh materials," said Jennifer Antilla, an employee with the company.

Smoke from the blaze could be seen for miles, and Monday Depew Fire officials requested all residents in a 2 mile radius of the fire to remain in their homes. The ban has since been lifted.
The State Department of Environmental Conservation was called in to monitor the situation, but determined there were no violations and the run-off was contained to the area. DEC Officials say there was no air monitoring needed on site.