Parolee is Found Dead After Allegedly Leading Police on a Massive Manhunt in Buffalo

August 9, 2012 Updated Aug 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM EDT

By WKBW News

August 9, 2012 Updated Aug 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM EDT

((Buffalo, NY) A single shot ends a manhunt in Buffalo's east side, after police spent hours searching for 28-year-old Demone Frazier.

Authorities tell Eyewitness News that Frazier managed to get a hold of his parole officer's keys during a routine check at 50 Gatchell Street.

Frazier, a convicted rapist and level three sex offender, allegedly stole the parole officer's vehicle at about 7:45 Thursday morning. It was later found abandoned on Best Street. Frazier fled on foot, with a gun from his home in tote.

Several different agencies, including Buffalo Police, US Marshals and the US Border Patrol, combed the streets looking for Frazier.

With helicopters flying overhead and weapons drawn, neighbors were left stunned.

Mary Ward, who lives on Buffalo's east side, told Eyewitness News the helicopters woke her up. She looked out the door and a police officer approached her, warning to lock her doors. Ward adds "he said we're looking for somebody with a gun. I said well nobody came here."

At about 10:50 in the morning, a gunshot lead police nearly three miles away to 239 Hempstead Avenue.

Buffalo Police Chief Dennis Richards says "there was a shot that was heard by police, by agents and at that point as I said we have to retreat and call for swat in this surrounding, in this surrounding, there's apartments there's people that need to be evacuated."

Prepared for the worst, the SWAT team moved in. Residents were pushed farther away from the home.

In the end, officers found Frazier dead.

No one's more surprised than those who knew him.

TJ, an acquaintance of Frazier's, said "he stuck out to me because he was a real polite sweet boy, and I just thought he was nice."

TJ added she never knew of Frazier's criminal past.

Police say the parole officer had been working with Frazier for some time.

The New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision are now investigating how this happened. They are also providing counseling to the parole officer.