Cuomo Votes Casinos

January 10, 2013 Updated Jan 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
January 10, 2013 Updated Jan 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM EDT

Buffalo, N.Y. (WKBW) - Governor Andrew Cuomo made his State of the State address on Wednesday, talking about ways to improve the economy and casinos were at the top of his list. He wants to build three Las Vegas style casinos in upstate New York.

Cuomo said this plan would be extremely beneficial with 90 percent of the state's share of the revenue going toward education. The other 10 percent would go to local government tax relief programs.

This year, the state legislature is expected to vote on an amendment to the constitution that would allow up to seven new casinos outside Indian land. Some said this is not a good idea, referring to the City of Niagara Falls. They said casinos actually hurt its economy. Cuomo claims it would bring people and money to the area.

"I believe casinos in upstate N.Y. will be a great magnet to bring people to upstate N.Y. They go to New Jersey, they go to Connecticut, why don't we bring them to upstate N.Y," Cuomo said.

There is an issue in Western New York that could delay Cuomo plan. In 2002, New York State and the Seneca Nation signed a compact stating that the Indian Nation would have exclusive rights to casinos in the state. In return, they would give the state a portion of the revenue. The nation said the state went against that agreement, building resorts including the Finger Lakes Racetrack and Casino and Batavia Downs.

That agreement is planned to expire in 2016 but Cuomo said he wants something done in the near future including construction on the three casinos.