( release) On April 26, 2011 the State Police on the Thruway arrested the following subject for Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument 2nd (Class D Felony), Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd (Class D Felony) - 2 counts, Criminal Impersonation 2nd (Class A Misdemeanor), Unlawful Possession of Noxious Materials (Class B Misdemeanor) and Operating as an Unlicensed Security Guard under the General Business Law (Class B Misdemeanor).
Investigation revealed that the defendant had in his possession numerous items that led the public to assume that he was a police officer. These items included;
1) Bullet proof vest with “POLICE” written on the back
2) Badge with “Special Police”
3) Forged New York State Security Guard License
4) Patches and collar brass for uniforms with “Police” and “Lieutenant”
5) Two gun belts that contained handcuffs, pepper spray, a stun gun, and police baton. One of the gun belts held a starter pistol, while the other had a bb gun, both of which resemble real handguns.
The defendant was operating an unlicensed security company under the name of First Response Law Enforcement. The defendant is currently registered as a sex offender and is a convicted felon.
James J. Lewis (Date of Birth – 5/9/1964)
Lewis was processed and held for this morning’s arraignment in the City of Buffalo Court. Lewis was committed to the Erie County Holding Center in lieu of $250,000 cash or bond. He is to reappear in City of Buffalo Court on May 2nd, 2011, at 2:00 PM.