BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) The Sisters of Mercy joined with the staff of Mercy Hospital of Buffalo to dedicate and bless a new cornerstone monument in the Emergency Center Meditation Garden.
Since starting operation on Tift Street in 1904, the hospital has seen three major expansions.
The first came in 1926 when the cornerstone was laid for the original Abbott Road hospital.
In 1967, another cornerstone was laid for the McAuley addition.
Construction of the new Emergency Center in 2010 forced the removal of the two cornerstones which each contained time capsules.
The new monument will include cornerstones from 1926, 1967, and 2010.
As part of the special ceremony, a new time capsule was filled with hospital documents, pictures, and some modern technology.
Cellphones, a blackberry, and a jump-drive (USB drive) were included in the time capsule which will not be opened for 50-years until 2063.
The newest time capsule will be installed in the monument.