Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Forces Evacuation of Local Hotel

March 12, 2011 Updated Oct 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM EDT

By WKBW News

March 12, 2011 Updated Oct 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM EDT

West Seneca, NY (WKBW-TV)-

West Seneca Police responded to the Hampton Inn on Ridge Road about 5:30a.m. Saturday morning after two guests reported feeling dizzy and faint. The guests believed that it was from fumes in their room.

EMS and additional police personnel were called to the scene. Once on location, fire investigators found high levels of carbon monoxide in the lower levels of the hotel. The hotel was evacuated.

A total of 12 hotel guests reported feeling ill. Nine people were transported by ambulance to Millard Gates Hospital for treatment of exposure to carbon monoxide.

National Fuel also responded and located the source of the carbon monoxide coming from a heater unit on the roof of the hotel.

Kaleida Health issued a release late Saturday afternoon:


BUFFALO, N.Y. (Saturday, March 12, 2011) – Nine people were treated at Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital this morning following exposure to carbon monoxide at a West Seneca hotel.

Seven of the patients have been treated and released. The remaining two patients are expected to be released from the hospital later today.

All nine were treated under the direction of David Janicke, MD, the emergency department director for Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital.

Due to Medicare privacy laws (HIPAA), the names and ages of the patients will not be released.

Carbon monoxide (sometimes referred to as CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. It cannot be seen, smelled or tasted but it can kill.

Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. This odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas is known as the "Silent Killer." The Centers for Disease Control estimates that carbon monoxide poisoning claims nearly 500 lives, and causes more than 15,000 visits to hospital emergency departments annually.

The hotel refused to comment when contacted by Eyewitness News Saturday morning.

EWN will continue to follow this story.