CTV: Arrest Made In Fatal Toronto Shopping Mall Shooting

June 4, 2012 Updated Oct 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM EDT

By WKBW News


CTV: Arrest Made In Fatal Toronto Shopping Mall Shooting

June 4, 2012 Updated Oct 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM EDT

TORONTO, ON ( ctvtoronto.ca ) Toronto police say an arrest has been made in connection to the fatal weekend shooting at the downtown Eaton Centre shopping mall.

The Toronto Police Service announced the arrest early Monday morning, less than two days after one person was killed and seven others injured in what the city's police chief called a "wanton and incredibly dangerous" shooting.

CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry says police sources have confirmed that the suspect turned himself in at 2:30 a.m. on Monday.

Police promised swift action in their pursuit of a suspect following the shocking and public Saturday evening attack that left Ahmed Hassan, 24, dead.

Hassan was known to police and it is believed that he had gang-related ties. Police earlier said that they believe Hassan was targeted in the brazen shooting.

Det. Sgt. Brian Borg said on Sunday that police had a description of the suspect and investigators were confident they had identified the person involved.

The eight victims -- four female and four male -- include a 13-year-old boy who suffered a gunshot wound to the head.

Police said that the teen, who was visiting Toronto, was listed in critical but stable condition at the Hospital For Sick Children.

Another 23-year-old man was in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds to the neck and chest.

Three other victims were treated and released from hospital, while a 28-year-old pregnant woman who was caught up in the stampede to the exits is resting in hospital.

Police would not say whether any of the victims were related to Hassan.

The Eaton Centre remained closed Sunday during the investigation. Mall officials said that retail stores and parking garages would open for regular business hours on Monday.

The Urban Eatery is expected to remain closed until at least Tuesday.

Members of the public had left notes at a makeshift memorial that formed outside the mall over the weekend. A small vigil was also held in nearby Dundas Square Sunday evening.

A press conference is expected later Monday.