Apartment Fire Blamed on Careless Smoking

March 1, 2013 Updated Mar 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM EDT

By Kyla Igoe

...
March 1, 2013 Updated Mar 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM EDT

DEPEW, NY (WKBW)- A fire at a suburban duplex this morning leaves several people homeless. Firefighters responded to an active structure fire at 7:22 a.m. at a duplex on Patsy Lane in Depew. Upon arrival, fire crews say they observed flames shooting from an upstairs window. All residents were evacuated from the building without injury.

Officials with the Depew Fire Department say a tenant's careless smoking near a mattress started the blaze. Red Cross is assisting the displaced tenants.