Fight For Air Base May Suffer Setback

April 13, 2012 Updated Apr 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM EDT

By WKBW News

...
April 13, 2012 Updated Apr 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM EDT

NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WKBW) Officials say the fight isn't over yet against possible job cuts at the Niagara Falls Air Base.

According to an article from the Air Force Times, a secondary alternative to the previously proposed budget cuts was rejected Thursday by the Air Force.

In the simplest terms, local officials were not happy with the "plan A" from the federal government. Now, the Air Force has rejected the "plan B." This leaves local officials looking for any new plan to keep jobs at the base in Niagara Falls.

Rep. Kathy Hochul (D) told reporters at the Niagara Falls Airport that she would continue to pursue all options to save jobs that remain on the chopping block after the Air Force rejected the secondary plan. She also said the second proposal was not the only alternative to the original budget cuts.

Other officials called the rejection of the backup plan a "speed bump," but said it did not move everything back to square one. Instead, many agreed that they simply had to find another alternative.

Hochul was at the Niagara Falls International Airport with the acting Federal Aviation Administrator Michael Huerta to announce funding for that facility.

Stay with Eyewitness News and wkbw.com for all the latest on this developing story.