After 10 Year Old's Death, Family "Going Through Hell"

April 18, 2012 Updated Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM EDT

By Kendra Eaglin

April 18, 2012 Updated Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - The family of 10 year old murder victim Abdifatah Mohamud did not want to appear on camera. But the victim's older brother tells Eyewitness News this is the worst thing a human being can ever experience and describes it as hell.

Another family member tells Eyewitness News the victim's cries for help may have gone unanswered.

Forty year old Ali Mohamad Mohamud is behind bars charged with the gruesome murder of his stepson Abdifatah.

"The suspect made a statement to police indicating his involvement in the death of his stepson the 10 year old victim," said chief Dennis Richards of the Buffalo Police Department.

Investigators say Mohamud admitted to binding up the 10 year old, stuffing a sock in his mouth and covering it with duct tape before beating him to death.

The young boy's body was discovered Tuesday night after family members called police to report him missing.

"We found a deceased 10 year old male in the basement of the house there was obvious signs of foul play where the deceased was found," stated Richards.

"Someone had to know about his temper. You can't hide something like that," said Audrey Robinson Powell, a nearby neighbor.

Mohamud was later located at the Buffalo News shortly after the boy was found in the basement. Mohamud worked at the News as a security guard which Powell says is ironic.

"For him to be in the position of protecting others and to harm his son," said Powell.

"I met the guy, seemed like a nice guy and the lady his mother, real nice lady, real nice," commented another neighbor, Johnny Alexander.

But things apparently were not nice behind closed doors. Abdifatah's family member tells us that the boy complained that his stepfather, now charged with second degree murder, was mean to him. But no one took Abdifatah's cries for help seriously.

"Its a scary feeling to think that that child was in fear of his own father and couldn't get any help," said Powell.

Abdifatah was a student at Buffalo's International Preparatory School where a support team has been established for fellow students and staff.

The Somali family tells Eyewitness News that Abdifatah's funeral will be held Thursday just two-days after he was found because in their culture the victim must be buried right away.