The American Music Awards kicked off last night and Joy FM's Laura Daniels joined Desiree Wiley via phone this morning to talk about the top highlights.
"I think the AMAs last night were like the anti-VMAs. It was very tame considering what we've seen from award shows over the past couple of months," said Daniels.
1. Katy Perry put on a colorful performance. Perry belted out 'Unconditionally' while dressed in geisha-inspired clothing. She even tweeted a photo earlier in the night of her microphone, covered in cherry blossoms, to give fans a little teaser into her opening act.
"I love, love, love Katy Perry and I'm a big fan of Imagine Dragons," said Daniels.
And Daniels wasn't the only Perry fan, the star snatching shout-outs from none other than her 'Roar' co-writer Bonnie McKee.
2. Justin Timberlake went hand-in-hand with Taylor Swift for a top scoring musician. Timberlake walked away with 'AMA Favorite Soul/R&B Artist' and he also got the 'AMA Favorite Soul/R&B Album Award.'
"I was a little taken aback by the three nominated for the R&B and favorite R&B soul album and being that JT won, I love Justin Timberlake don't get me wrong, but it's just kind of interesting the three people that were involved."
In 'Favorite Soul/R&B album,' Timberlake went up against Rihanna and Robin Thicke. As far as 'Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist,' the former N'SYNC member beat out Robin Thicke and Miguel.
3. Taylor Swift stole the show. Her fans had her back once again, awarding her with four honors that night. This is the third time Taylor Swift won the 'AMA Artist of the Year' - the highest honor of the evening. According to Daniels, this came as no surprise.
"I think Taylor Swift can't lose at anything she does. She's just not only a great musician, but she's a great role model."
4. Laura Daniels talked about the 'tame' performances this year and one that shocked the world was Miley Cyrus. She put the 'twerking' on lock at this award show. Instead Miley said "Meow." Miley sang 'Wrecking Ball' in front of a kitten floating in space. The kitten not only mouthed the words behind Miley, but began to cry what looked like diamonds.
"I have to say as far as Miley Cyrus goes, I think she is so incredibly talented so it was nice to see her show up and just sing and not do anything ridiculous," said Daniels. "It was a little weird with the kitten behind her."
5. Lady Gaga and R. Kelly also had a talk-about performance of the evening. The pair performed their newest song "Do What U Want." During the act, the two portrayed the reported affair between Marilyn Monroe and John F. Kennedy. Lady gaga also made headlines for her grand entrance, riding onto the red carpet on a white, human horse.
6. Jenny from the block took the stage last night with a memorable tribute to the salsa queen Celia Cruz who died in 2003. Jennifer Lopez sang a medley of Spanish tunes featuring fringed costumes and colorful dances.
7. Plus, Rihanna's mom presented her with a special award last night. Her mother, Monica Fenty, presented Rihanna with the first-ever Icon Award.