Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups milk
4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk, bring to a boil and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add Cheddar cheese and continue stirring until melted. Place macaroni back into soup pot. Add 3/4 of the cheese sauce; mix well.
- Spoon macaroni into baking dish and pour remaining 1/4 of the cheese sauce evenly over top.
- In a medium bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave. Stir in crushed crackers; mix until crumbs are evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
Nothing that comes out of a box will compare to this comforting homemade version of the all-time classic macaroni and cheese. The little bit of extra effort to do it ourselves will reap such a big pay-off, it's worth every moment!