Two-year old Alexander Moskot's little body is covered with tiny red dots. His mother Suzanne tells us that "he was outside playing and ran through a pile of leaves and came up on the deck covered with brown stuff and I realized it was yellow jackets." She sprayed her son with a garden hose then called 9-1-1. The ER staff was shocked when they counted almost one-thousand yellow jacket stings. Alexander was given medicine for the pain, as he even had bites on his eyelids and in his mouth. But, he was lucky. He was experiencing swelling and redness, but
"but he's not having the full blown allergic reaction like some people do where they go into shock or wheezing or vomit," says Dr. Carden Johnston.
Allergic reactions to bee stings are common, but the amount of venom is also dangerous even for kids who aren't allergic. The poison from 200-bites can kill and Alexander had five times that many. His parents will keep a sharp eye on him, but the doctors say in a week or so, Alexander will be fine.
Top Stories in Connect with Kids
Bee Stings Common, Sometimes Fatal
To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.