Lettuce wraps are the rage at Asian restaurants, and our recipe for easy Orange Beef Lettuce Wraps can be on your table for a fraction of the restaurant price, with all the East meets West flavor.
Cooking Time: 3 min
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut lengthwise in half then crosswise into 1/8-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (see Note)
- In a large bowl, combine beef strips and 2 teaspoons cornstarch, toss until evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch; mix well. Set aside.
- In a large
skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef strips and cook 1 to 2 minutes, just until beef is no longer pink. Do not overcook.
- Add orange juice mixture, carrots, scallions, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Spoon beef mixture into lettuce leaves and serve.
Simply remove the outer leaves from a head of iceberg lettuce, rinse the head under cold running water, core it, then soak it in a large bowl of ice water for a couple hours in the fridge to crisp up enough to hold the beef mixture.