Attica, N.Y. (WKBW) - Carbon Monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the death of an elderly man Sunday morning.
Paul Kaczmarek, 72, was found face down on the floor clutching the phone, by a friend who was picking him up for breakfast. His wife, Annette had apparently fallen out of her wheelchair and was also found unconscious on the floor. Annette survived the ordeal.
This sad story is all too common in the winter months here in Western New York. It was just about a year ago a Grand Island family nearly died as they were slowly poisoned by Carbon Monoxide. Luckily, first responders rescued them in time, after a relative called 911.
Authorities said neither of these homes had a working CO detector. West Seneca native Ken Hansen, whose daughter died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, has been urging the public ever since to make sure they install detectors so they don't become the next victim.
"It's a 20 dollar investment to save your child. If my daughter was at that house and they had this she'd be with me right now. It's 20 dollars. It's not a lot to save your family," Hansen said.
Again, authorities said the Wyoming County couple did not have a working detector. They had the device but the batteries had expired. According to the Batavia Daily News, the cause was poor ventilation of a furnace that was nearly two decades old.