Buffalo, N.Y. (WKBW release) -- In celebration of the Polish American Journal's 100th anniversary, the monthly publication is giving away more then $750 in cash and prizes as part of an essay contest for high school students.
The topic is "Methods to Promote Our Polish Heritage" and the deadline for submissions is July 31. Winners will be notified in September, and the winning entry will be published in the October 2011 edition of the Polish American Journal.
First prize will receive $500, second prize will receive $100, third prize will receive a Seiko shelf clock, and three runners-up will receive a three-year subscription to the PAJ.
RULES AND ELIGIBILITY
* Contest is open to all students in High School Grades 9 to 12 for the
2010-2011 school year.
* Contestants do not have to be subscribers to the Polish American Journal.
* PAJ employees and their family members are not eligible contestants.
* All submissions must be postmarked by July 31, 2011.
* Composition must be original. Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification. All sources must be cited.
* Prizes will be mailed after publication of the October 2011 edition and before November 1, 2011.
* Winners must provide photo (school photo preferred) to be printed in the October 2011 edition. Prizes will not be awarded to students not supplying photograph.
* Submit an essay of an original composition of 1,500 words or less on "Methods to Promote Our Polish Heritage."
* Copy must be printed in at least 10 point type, double-spaced on standard typing paper. PDF and Microsoft Word documents will be accepted subject to prior approval. eMail info@ polamjournal.com for more information.
* Entries not sent via eMail may be mailed to: Polish Heritage Contest, Polish American Journal, P.O. Box 328, Boston NY 14025-0328. All entries will be acknowledged.
* Include your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, if applicable. This information will not be used for anything other than notification of contest winners.
* Each entry must be signed and dated by the entrant.
* All entries become the property of PAJ and will not be returned.
* If entrant is under 18, written permission of parent or guardian is needed for contest submission.
* Entries received after midnight, July 31, 2011 will neither be considered nor returned.
* Entries will be judged by creativity, relevance of expression of the subject, and overall impression, with the final decision not subject to arbitration. Spelling and grammar will be considered.