St. Bonaventure, N.Y. (WKBW release) -- Cattaraugus County Sheriff's officers continue their investigation into a small fire early Sunday morning in a residence hall lounge at St. Bonaventure University.
"We're grateful the damage was minor, and that's a tribute to those who responded so quickly," said Rick Trietley, vice provost for Student Life. "But this is an incident we are taking very seriously. Fire safety is of the utmost importance to us, and incidents like this will not be tolerated."
University judicial charges, as well as criminal charges, will be brought if the perpetrator is a student, Trietley said. Expulsion is possible.
No one was injured as a result of the fire, caused when someone put flammable materials into two microwaves in different lounges of Devereux Hall. Only one ignited, destroying the microwave and table it was sitting on, and causing smoke damage to the walls.
A smoke detector triggered the alarm at 6:11 a.m. University Safety and Security officers and area firefighters responded to the scene. Students were evacuated to the Shay Hall lobby for approximately 90 minutes before being allowed to return. A few students were relocated temporarily because of the lingering smell of smoke.
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to contact University Safety and Security at 375-2525, or the County Sheriff at 938-9191.