ROCHESTER, NY – Wegmans stores in Buffalo, Syracuse, the Southern Tier, and parts of Pennsylvania participated in the winter Check Out Hunger campaign that ended February 26, raising a total of $937,909, an 11.4% increase over the company’s 2010 winter Check Out Hunger results.
Check Out Hunger allows shoppers to donate $1, $2, $3, $5 or any other amount at checkout, with 100% of the proceeds going to each store's local food bank.
The food banks that will receive donations are listed below with the amount raised, and in parentheses, the Wegmans stores that raised money for them:
· - Food Bank of Western New York (Buffalo area) $521,568
· - Food Bank of Central New York (Syracuse area) $68,797
· - Food Bank of the Southern Tier (Corning, Elmira, Ithaca, Johnson City, Hornell) $217,757
· - Second Harvest Food Bank of NW PA (Erie, PA) $74,632
· - Central Pennsylvania Food Bank (Harrisburg and Williamsport, PA) $26,863
· - Food Bank of State College (State College, PA) $12,233
· - Harry & Jeanette Weinberg NE Regional Food Bank (Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, PA) $16,059
“In spite of tough times, our customers and employees have responded in the most selfless manner, exceeding last year’s giving,” said Colleen Wegman, the company’s president. “Food banks play an essential role in our communities, and this increase in donations will have a real impact toward meeting their needs.”
The timing of the annual campaign varies by region. Hunger relief scanning campaigns raised a total of $2.2 million at Wegmans in 2010. Since Check Out Hunger began in 1993, Wegmans has raised over $16 million for hunger relief. In addition to this money for emergency food services, Wegmans also donated 16 million pounds of food in 2010 to local food banks, food pantries and soup kitchens across all of its market areas.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 77-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, and Maryland. The family-owned company, founded in 1916, is recognized as an industry leader and innovator. Wegmans has been named one of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ by FORTUNE magazine for fourteen consecutive years. In 2011, Wegmans ranked #3 on the list.