Bills fall in Cincy, Johnson talks "calls"

September 30, 2013 Updated Oct 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM EDT

By Jeff Russo


Bills fall in Cincy, Johnson talks "calls"

September 30, 2013 Updated Oct 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM EDT

Cincinnati ( After putting together comeback efforts in two straight weeks, the Bills were on the other end of things on Sunday. Bengals kicker Mike Nugent kicked a 42 yard field goal as time expired as the Bills fell 23-20 in Cincinnati. The Bills had a 17-3 lead at the half.

The loss dropped the Bills to 3-and-1 on the season, and included several controversial calls by officials.

The biggest came with the Bills up 20-13 in the fourth quarter. On third and one Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson appeared to catch what would have been a first down, but the ruling on the field was an incomplete pass. Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey challenged the play. The review appeared to show Johnson making the catch, but the call was upheld and the Bills were forced to punt.

"I had the ball in the same spot. Caught it low. Caught it, secured it. Knee was down before the dude even touched me", said Johnson. "It came down to calls. That's how I feel. Me personally I feel like it came down to calls and the referees did their part", Johnson continued.

"I was alittle shocked by the call to be honest. I had a decent vantage point. You have to be strong enough, and good enough to overcome that. We have been in worse situations then that and played better.", said Gailey after the game.

The tough call was just part of a poor second half overall for the Bills. Bengals rookie QB Andy Dalton completed 11 of 16 passes for 180 yards and touchdown over the last two quarters. He also ran for a touchdown as the Bengals outscored the Bills 20-3 in the second half.

Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills offense struggled against the Bengals third ranked defense. Fitzpatrick finished 20-34 for 199 yards. The Bills converted only 4 of 14 first down opportunities.

The Buffalo defense had a tough second half, but helped the Bills shake off a slow start offensively in the first. With the score tied at 3 in the second quarter Bryan Scott made a fantastic play to grab a bobbled ball by Bengals receiver Andre Caldwell.
Scott intercepted the pass and returned it 43 yards for the touchdown. The score was the first of Scott's career, and gave the Bills a 10-3 lead.
It also marked the first time the Bills had recorded back-to-back games with interception returns for at touchdown since 2009.

On the following drive Safety George Wilson picked off Dalton for the Bills 8th interception of the season. Fred Jackson then capped off a 5 play, 76 yard drive by the Buffalo offense with a 2 yard touchdown for the 17-3 lead at half-time.