Vigil Held For Buffalo Teen

September 27, 2013 Updated May 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM EDT

By WKBW Programming

September 27, 2013 Updated May 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM EDT

BUFFALO, NY ( WKBW ) Family and friends of 17 year old Gary Ramos returned to the sight where he drowned Saturday evening for a candlelight vigil.

Many who attended were overcome with grief, while others still have questions.

What everyone agrees on is that security near the bridge where Ramos died needs to be reviewed.

Ramos' grandmother Mary Dean told Eyewitness News, "Everything happened so suddenly. I just don't believe a lot of it, you know. I want the truth, I really do, but I don't know if I'll ever know the truth."

Dean's words come just days after Ramos drowned in a river behind Hillery Park in South Buffalo. Since Wednesday night, there have been varying reports of how Ramos drowned. Initial statements claim Ramos jumped into the river from the bridge, but now officials and Ramos' friends say he never jumped, but was swimming from one side of the river to the other when somehow he went under.

Ramos' friend Alex Ortiz added, "He was swimming and he just got tired and he couldn't swim anymore." 15 year old Alex Ortiz tried to save him.

"He just started drowning when I got to him. He was already underwater and I tried to go down and I couldn't find him," added Ortiz.

The gate that leads to the river sits on private property behind Hillery Park Elementary School. Officials tell Eyewitness News the gate is owned by the school board, and closed to the public. Ramos' family says the gate was broken and officials should have done more to prevent trespassing.

Officials added that anyone caught trespassing in that area will be arrested. There was an officer on patrol Saturday night.

The funeral service for Gary Ramos is Sunday from 2 - 8p.m. at Nightengale Funeral Home on South Park Avenue in South Buffalo.
"All I know is I lost a beautiful grandson and I'll never be able to hug or kiss him again," said Mary Dean.