Gowanda, NY (WKBW) -- Parents and students cheered as the Gowanda School Board voted to restore the remainder of the varsity and junior varsity lacrosse season at a meeting Wednesday night.
The season had been canceled by Superintendent Charles Rinaldi last week after a YouTube video of players fighting in the locker room was posted and circulated throughout the school.
The so-called fight, students said, was consensual. The two main participants wore boxing gloves.
Parents and students thought the decision to cancel the remainder of the season following the April 29 incident was unfair, especially since 15 members of the team were not present during the brawl.
After more than a hour of deliberations behind closed doors, the school board unanimously voted to restore the remainder of the season for most of the varsity and junior varsity players.
Players have already missed four games since the incident took place.
The 15 players who did not witness the fight will be allowed to play in the remaining regular season game on Tuesday. 19 players who watched the fight will also be allowed to participate, but only after they undergo counseling, said Karl Kristoff, the school district's attorney.
Five players, three who traded punches and two others who videotaped the incident on their cell phones, will remain suspended for the rest of the season.
The head coach, Roy Logan, will also remain on the sidelines for the rest of the season. Logan, along with an assistant coach, were also suspended by the superintendent and will remain under suspension for the remainder of the school year.
Logan started the school's lacrosse program in 1993.
"I think that it could have gone better," said player Nickolas Burr. "It's fortunate now that we get to have these players reinstated, but a big loss is losing our head coach."
The players huddled together in the hallway outside the high school auditorium following the board's decision.
"I think that we can overcome this tragedy," Burr said.