Fire rips through a family's trailer at about 5 a.m. in Niagara County and two members of that family did not make it out alive. It happened at a trailer home on West Creek Road in the Village of Newfane.
Kathy Clark lives across the street from the home that burned down, "I heard pounding and screaming at my door and when I came to the door the girl was yelling....'My house is on fire! My house is on fire! Call the police!'"
Clark couldn't believe what she saw next. "I looked across the street and saw half the trailer fully engulfed in flames. I went back in the house and dialed 911," said Clark.
But it was too late. The mother and two children, a 12-year-old and a 3-year-old got out, but two other people were still trapped inside. Clark explains the tragic scene she saw next, "The mother was laying in the driveway and I could see her feet were completely bloody and there was a little boy there and a three year old girl and the mom was just screaming hysterically, 'I couldn't get Mark out! Please go get Mark! I couldn't get him!"
The victims were reportedly trapped inside near the back of the trailer, but the blaze was too intense for rescuers to reach them.
"We attempted to make an interior entry but fire forced our interior crews back. It's a trailer that's had three different additions added to it which complicated the fire suppression," said Newfane Fire Chief Jeff Brown.
Clark still in shock about what happened, "You never think anything like this is going to happen, so close but it's really sad to know that two didn't make it out."
Officials are not yet releasing the names of the victims involved. The three that did make it out of the house were treated at area hospitals and are in stable condition.