20th Century Club!

October 3, 2011 Updated Oct 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM EDT

By WKBW Programming

...
October 3, 2011 Updated Oct 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM EDT

BUFFALO, NY ( WKBW ) The Twentieth Century Club is a landmark Buffalo building.

Recently, President Jan Kennedy stopped by Channel 7's "AM/Buffalo" to tell Jon Summers about the club and historic significance of the organization.

Read more from the Wikipedia site:

The Twentieth Century Club is a women's social club founded in the late 19th century in Buffalo, New York. It is located at 595 Delaware Avenue, in the Delaware District neighborhood. It was the first club run by women, for women, in the United States.[1]

The club developed out of the Graduates Association of the Buffalo Seminary. In 1894, the club purchased the present property and hired the firm of Green & Wicks to design a clubhouse to add to the front of an existing Baptist church. The clubhouse is a three story building in the Italian renaissance style.

The building is 78 feet wide and 96 feet deep. The first story is of Indiana limestone and the rest of the structure of pressed brick, of a warm red tone, with a cornice of terra cotta. The Ionic order pillars across the front of the second story are of blue marble. The original church structure at the rear of the lot was demolished in 1904 and a gymnasium, pool, showers, and a hot room were added.[2][3] Additional land and a formal garden were added to the rear of the property in 1933.

In 2011 the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.